A Man of Numbers

Proof that Accountants are dull

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sat Nav

Driving home from football last night I was struck by the number of people who seem to have satellite navigation systems in their cars. It takes me about 15 minutes to drive home, and on the way I must have seen at least 15 cars with Sat Nav in. Perhaps I'm being naive, stupid, or just a luddite in my outlook, but how many people actually need Sat Nav in their cars? Granted I'm probably not your average driver, I don't do that many miles a year. I tend to visit the same places regularly, and if I am going somewhere new a quick reference to the map or, locally an A to Z, usually serves me well. If I was a delivery driver I could probably use a Sat Nav system to speed up things, but I cannot comprehend how so many ordinary people feel the need to have one. Is it just a case of keeping up with the Joneses? Or are these people all technology freaks, who need to have the latest gizmo? Given the state of some of their cars I can't believe that a £300 Sat Nav system, which is probably worth about the same as their car, is a necessity for these people. Friends of mine have done similar things regarding car stereos. One friend spent £500 on a car stereo to put in a car that cost him £300. The power of the stereo then caused damage to the inside of his car. Real value for money! How long must it take some drivers just to get ready to set off now? First attach your Sat Nav display (can't leave it in the car, for fear of thieves), reattach your face off stereo, attach bluetooth headset to your ear and then put the key into the ignition. This is all assuming that you don't have any children to place in car seats first. It's no wonder people have to speed, it's just to catch up with the time lost placing and removing all these gadgets in their cars!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home