A Man of Numbers

Proof that Accountants are dull

Friday, August 25, 2006

I love

these short weeks. Only two days in work this week, a bank holiday next week, so that's only a four day week. Excellent! Here's a tip for any parents or budding parents. If you decide to show your children a local landmark from where you grew up, pick one that isn't atop the highest hill in the town. This week my children showed an interest in visiting the folly that dominates the town I'm from. It's a faux lighthouse, built in 1852 - and about a mile from the sea. It serves no purpose other than being a landmark and a legacy for a local businessman from that time.

So Godzooky 1 pesters me to climb up the hill and see the lighthouse. It's a nice day, so why not. It's been a long time since I went up there. Probably not since I last did cross country at school.

Mrs Zilla suggested that I take Godzooky 2 as well. Why not? She seemed keen.

Schoolboy error on my part.

Not even one third of the way up she wanted to be carried.

I should have seen this coming - she's only two, and small for her age.

Still the struggle to the top was worth it - the views are quite something.

Of course being a typical man, whilst struggling to carry a two year old, I decided not to take the path, but attempt a direct assault on the local equivalent of the North face of the Eiger.

All was well as I gathered my breath.

We were (unfortunately, as I was desperate to climb higher!) unable to enter the tower, as it was closed.

Then I realised that my schoolboy memories of cross country didn't include any of the way back down.

I didn't fancy abseiling back the way we came, so set off in the general direction that my memory prompted me to.

At that point I heard another group close by say, "Let's follow that man, he looks like he knows the way down"

A better man than me might have turned and said "Sorry, I am as clueless as you!".

I am not that man. I thought, well at least we're all in the same boat.

So I'm carrying Godzooky 2 again, trying to keep Godzooky 1 away from the sheer drops, whilst pretending to ignore the small group following in our footsteps.

They didn't follow for too long, especially when I strode confidently towards a ridge, only to discover one of the aforementioned sheer drops.

Ultimately my childhood memories did start to resurface and I found the official footpath, leading us back to civilisation.

Don't take small children up high, steep climbs unless you're prepared to carry them most of the way!

4 Comments:

  • At 8/25/2006 05:20:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    So noted!

    Your little Zillas are adorable!!!

     
  • At 8/28/2006 02:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, such a beautiful view. I'm sure the trek was worth it once you got to the top.

     
  • At 8/29/2006 04:37:00 AM, Blogger Fig said…

    guffaw

    yes I really did chortle a bit as I read this... can just see the little group of people following you...

    and your children ARE adorable!

     
  • At 8/29/2006 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Godzilla said…

    Snav - glad to pass on the advice! The little ones have their moments.

    mdw - the guy paid for it himself. Why try and help the poor, when you can erect a huge phallic symbol to ensure you are remembered forever?
    It was fun, especially the look on the other people's faces when they realised I didn't have a clue!

    G - the views are pretty good, but as soon as we got to the top Godzooky 1 wanted to go straight back down! Typical child!

    Lily - it was quite amusing, and they aren't always as adorable as pictures portray them!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home