A Man of Numbers

Proof that Accountants are dull

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Old School Rules

It never ceases to amaze me how certain things capture a child’s imagination. Last night I returned home from work not knowing what mayhem to expect. Instead I was greeted by the sound of silence, no wailing or gnashing of teeth to be heard. I soon discovered the source of this tranquillity. No, there hadn’t been any hideous slaying or fatal accident. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was playing on the TV, and both little darlings were totally enraptured by it. The original version, not the souped up, new and improved version. Heir no.1 was sitting on the floor and Heir no.2 was sitting between his legs. Both were completely transfixed by the magical world of Willy Wonka, especially the Umpa Lumpas. I was surprised that such a low budget/basic effects film could hold them so spellbound. I was toying with the idea of getting the new version on DVD when it comes out. Clearly I needn’t bother and can get the original instead. Perhaps I’m assuming that children’s tastes are getting more sophisticated and they rely on special effects to enjoy a film. Evidently if the story is magical enough it will hold their attention even without all the CGI wizardry. I would never have marked it down as a film that could reward with an hour’s peace and quiet. I still think Gene Wilder is a bit creepy as Willy Wonka, well more than a bit actually.

3 Comments:

  • At 10/18/2005 07:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there, I like your blog. I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a individual health insurance site/blog. It offers individual health insurance information.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    -----------------------------------------------------

     
  • At 10/18/2005 02:19:00 PM, Blogger Ticharu said…

    My kids watched that one to death. I love the weirdo song in the boat, I mean to cover it someday along with Yellow Submarine and Please Mr. Gravedigger.

     
  • At 10/19/2005 08:24:00 AM, Blogger Godzilla said…

    I think I may just avoid the new one, and keep the original as unchallenged favourite.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home