A Man of Numbers

Proof that Accountants are dull

Friday, June 23, 2006

This isn't

the lost post from yesterday - Blogger clearly deemed that unworthy of posting! This is related to it slightly though. *peeks to make sure Blogger isn't looking* I was going to post about my habit of buying old albums on CD whenever there's a sale on, and my lack of new purchases. So last night after playing my "new" CDs I put on another oldie, dating from when I was about 17. Before I'd left the Lakes to go to college. You know how a song can just transport you back to a certain time, well this one certainly did: A Million Miles by The Wedding Present: I must have walked past this doorway thirty times Just trying to catch your eye, You made it all worthwhile When you returned my smile It all became worthwhile Does it feel a little cold stood by the door? Oh I’d really like to talk some more Don’t worry about your friend I think she left some time around ten What was your name again? You’re not like anyone I’ve ever met You’re not like anyone I’ve ever met We don’t see much of Sally over here Oh, I’ve known him off and on for years He’s never mentioned you before Oh, that didn’t come out right at all And now I feel this small That seem to be it Don’t get me wrong But how are you going to get back home Oh I’d be willing to walk that way There’s something I’ve just got to say I could walk a million miles today You’re not like anyone I’ve ever met You’re not like anyone I’ve ever met Kept bursting out with laughter all the way home I had to tell somebody, and you happened to phone I can’t think of anything else, no matter how I try But you know, I can’t even remember the colour of her eyes And that’s right You’re not like anyone I’ve ever met You’re not like anyone I’ve ever met Well, at least not yet. It transported me back to the days of teenage parties, where you would desperately being trying to get together with a certain someone, and the excitement that came from kissing someone for the first time. The Wedding Present capture the naivety and breathlessness of those times so well, the lyrics evoking the awkwardness and the crushing reality (for me at least) of disappointment. Last night it transported me back to a teenage moment. I'd had a crush on this girl for quite sometime. She wasn't one of the most popular girls, she was quiet and unobtrusive. I always found her great to talk to, and she had one of those magical smiles that lit up a room. Never being over confident when it came to girls my crush stayed hidden. Such was my lack of confidence that I never assumed girls found me in the least bit attractive. Most of my girlfriends were thanks to my mates telling me "You do realise that X fancies you?" Anyhow one night after a large group of us had been out to a party and we were getting a coach back. The coach was packed and there weren't really enough seats for everyone. So who comes over and asks if they can sit on my knee? Yes, the girl I had a major crush on. That was a journey that seemed to answer all my prayers. The girl of my dreams, sat on my knee, slightly drunk and we got on like a house on fire. I'd love to be able to say that we kissed all the way home and that we had a magical time together. However being a fool comes more easily to me, and I never even made a move to kiss her. She must have been pretty tolerant and understanding because I still kept in touch with her by letter for my first year away at college. Then her parents moved, we both moved student residences and we lost touch. In the cold light of day I can see what a stupid fool I was. Hindsight is a wonderful thing when you can change things, but a cruel companion when you can't. I don't doubt that we would never have lasted, but I would have loved to have enjoyed it while it did. Right Blogger, I hope this is worthy enough!

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home