A Man of Numbers

Proof that Accountants are dull

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Strike

There are a million Local Government workers on strike today, in protest at changes to the pension scheme they pay into. It means that people will no longer be able to retire at 60 rather than the normal 65. I am one of the people who pay into the scheme, but not in a union. Today was my first time involved in industrial action. Crossing the picket line was not anything to fear though, most of the people I have known for a few years and we exchanged pleasantries as I explained I was not a union member and therefore had no reason to strike. Most of my department are in, there are very few union members amongst us, and it seems to me that the strike has little solid support. Apparently the turnout for the ballot was only 28%, so it was hardly a majority decision to strike. Faced with the prospect of losing a day's pay, the vast majority of people have booked a day's holiday to avoid losing money or crossing the picket line. When I compare the situation in France (where they're having a General Strike) with ours the two issues seem a million miles apart. In France there is legislation being introduced that will mean that young people starting work will not have permanent working rights until 6 years after they begin working. This seems unfair and will probably lead to discrimination in the workplace. The strike taking place over here seems determined to bring as much misery and inconvenience to the general public as possible. I can see how it will highlight the cause, but I have the feeling that most people will see it as a very selfish attitude. All those in the private sector are expected to work to 65. Why shouldn't the public sector be expected to do the same? It has meant a very quiet morning in the office, and enabled us all to get quite a lot of work done without the usual interruptions.

5 Comments:

  • At 3/28/2006 03:09:00 PM, Blogger Andre Veloux said…

    Its not a general strike. Most people are at work. Limited trains, some teachers off, not much going on in municipal buildings etc. We are used to it in France though!!!

     
  • At 3/28/2006 03:49:00 PM, Blogger Godzilla said…

    Andre - looks like we have been misinformed - as usual!

     
  • At 3/28/2006 05:22:00 PM, Blogger Andre Veloux said…

    Yeah its a big protest, but its not as if the country has ground to a halt. I'd say the transport is the biggest thing, but that happens several times a year anyway!

     
  • At 3/29/2006 01:28:00 AM, Blogger Ticharu said…

    I confess that I don't follow these issues very closely. That sort of social engineering just doesn't fit with my personnality. Why should the government have anything to do with your employment or your retirement? I guess I just don't like government of any stripe. I'm a bit odd that way.

     
  • At 2/05/2007 10:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home