A Man of Numbers

Proof that Accountants are dull

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Something in the water?

Pregnancy seems to be on the increase it would seem, or at least within the worlds I move in. I now know of four people who are expecting within three weeks either side of our due date. Two of these are people at work, of which I know very little. One is a friend of mine I've known since the age of 11, it's going to be his first, and I am totally thrilled for him. He is great around kids, even though he seems to doubt his own abilities, and I am sure he will make a great father. He got married last year and they were both keen to start a family as soon as possible (none of us are getting any younger), fantastically it has happened quickly for them, especially as they went through the agonies of a miscarriage late last year. The last one I know of is a friend of my wife's, and the circumstances are somewhat different. This pregnancy was unplanned (no judgement there, those in glass houses etc), but the situation is certainly not one I would wish to contemplate. She is 29, still lives at home with her parents and is currently off work with depression. This pregnancy now means she is off her medication and already her mood seems to be shifting downward. My concerns arise not only from her medical issues but also from the relationship she is in. She has known the man she is having a baby with for 4 months, not a big qualm there, if someone is right for you great. However they actually met on an internet dating site, e-mailed each other for 3 months before meeting for real. So within a month of actually seeing this person in the flesh she is having a baby with him. He has now moved to the area after being made redundant, and work as a temp, when he can get work. He lives in a small flat above a busy bar, not the ideal location for raising a baby. Her parents have now disowned her, a fact not helping her illness, and they are facing tough times ahead. They need to find a new home to live in, get him a permanent job and come to terms with the fact that they are going to be parents, all without the support of close family near by. I guess this is the ultimate test of a new relationship - I'm not sure I could move across the country, try and start a meaningful relationship, try and find a permanent job and deal with the fact that I am going to be a father for the first time with someone I have barely met. Perhaps this is a reflection of my lack of character, or because I am unable to place myself in that position mentally. I wish them well, they are going to need all the luck they can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home