A Man of Numbers

Proof that Accountants are dull

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Under Pressure

Oh shit - now I've had visitors and even comments I feel under a bit more pressure to actually make this stuff interesting. I never thought about people actually reading this stuff, and I feel I should really have been making more of an effort. At least I've got my fall back position: being an accountant. Everyone expects you to be yawn inducingly dull, and the roll of eyes whenever someone asks what I do is clearly hard to stop. I'm starting to wish now that I had a bit more pc or html knowledge, so that if the content is dull at least I could jazz up the environment it sits in. There again photographs or the suchlike would only probably scare off those that did wander into this corner of cyberspace. Somehow I don't thinkany version of Braless Tuesday that I could come up with would catch on as well as it does on Lisa's (Bored Housewife) blog. Heir No.1 is back at school today, and he was clearly raring to go - breakfast consumed, new uniform attired before I was even ready to leave for work. His summation of the first day back and his new teacher will undoubtedly be the highlight of my day. I've bought tickets to take him to his first football match, a rites of passage for any young man. Wigan Athletic vs Middlesbrough - a more attractive fixture I defy you to find, just don't look too hard. My lasting hope is that my team (Middlesbrough) actually have a chance of putting on a decent performance and he will become hooked faster than a fish offered crack. Heir No.2 has learnt how to play the "magic game" - you take her dummy, hide it behind your back , then say "Where's it gone?". She looks dumbfounded, then you place it back in your fist and she "finds" it. Magic! Hours of entertainment for all the family. She is now able to hide it in her lap, and although she can't say "Where's it gone?" she does manage to spread her arms wide in that universal body language "I don't know". I've got a feeling she's going to be a sharp one. Bless, she's a little star. Father in law is still struggling, it may be due to a lack of oxygen to the brain, causing confusion - hopefully there is no long term damage, but the hospital aren't committing themselves at this stage. This whole process is bringing back memories of my father, who died almost exactly 13 years ago. I hope things turn out a lot better this year. Shit, this post has turned quite melancholy, on a more up beat note I felt my next son kick for the first time last night, and even third time around it's still one of the best feelings in the world. There, that's a better note to finish on.

3 Comments:

  • At 9/07/2005 10:57:00 PM, Blogger Fig said…

    That was a beautiful note to finish on. Makes me wish I was pregnant again... almost. I hope things get better for your Father in law... must be very hard for your wife.

     
  • At 9/08/2005 07:57:00 AM, Blogger Godzilla said…

    Cheers Ken - this praise seems unwarranted, I don't feel this is particularly well written, especially when I compare it to some of the blogs I love, but I'm trying.

    Lily, I always try to stay positive,life deals you mixed cards, it's how you play them that matters. Sometimes I play like a pro, others I need beginners luck.

     
  • At 2/05/2007 11:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home