A Man of Numbers

Proof that Accountants are dull

Friday, September 23, 2005

Burnout or Burnt Out?

Moral dilemma of a parent – should I give in to my son’s requests for a new video game? He NEVER asks for anything normally. We can be out shopping and whilst he picks things up and looks at them, he never whines and begs for them. I’m grateful for that, I hate seeing kids having tantrums because they don’t get what they want. Even the request for this game was made reasonably, and he didn’t push it when I said “We’ll see”. I have no problem with the game itself, it’s suitable for his age and he has played the earlier versions of it to death. So I know it will be used, and used responsibly. We limit the time he’s allowed to play to weekends, and then no longer than one hour. Writing this down, has made me realise that really there’s no issue here and I should stop being an uptight arsehole. He’s making a reasonable request that I can fulfil, and is going to make him very happy. I guess in the back of my mind I was thinking about leaving this game till his birthday, hoping to give him something that he really wants then. As he never asks for things, getting things that excite him for birthday/Christmas has been difficult. Shit, why do I make things more difficult than they need to be at times?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home